Provincial Government Outlines Framework for Re-Opening Businesses
Today, BC Premier John Horgan announced guidelines for how businesses and organizations can safely operate given COVID-19, and released a framework for how those sectors ordered closed will be re-opened.
Read below for details of this announcement, guidelines and best practices for various businesses and sectors, our exclusive list of local PPE suppliers, your access to our next COVID-19 update calls, and updates on the Business Recovery Task Force.
BC Framework for Re-Opening Announced by Premier
The provincial government’s plan for repealing COVID-19 restrictions was announced today. BC’s Restart Plan includes a phased-in relaxation of restrictions, outlining when certain activities and businesses will be allowed to resume. Highlights include:
Phase 1 – Current status
Phase 2 – Target date: Mid May
This next phase of repealing COVID restrictions will begin, and will allow for:
· small social gatherings;
· a resumption of elective surgeries and regulated health services like physiotherapy, dentistry, chiropractors and in-person counselling;
· provincial parks open for day use;
· opening more businesses with safe operations plans such as:
· restaurants, hair salons, personal service establishments, pubs
· sectors previously ordered closed will have to have approved re-opening plans with WorkSafeBC
· sectors not ordered closed can continue to operate provided they do so safely as per the guidelines below
Phase 3 – Target date: June to September, 2020
This next phase will allow for more regular operations of:
· Film/TV productions
· Hotels and resorts
· Movie theatres and similar entertainment
Phase 4 – Target date: Not until widespread vaccine use, broad community immunity, or effective COVID-19 treatments are in place
This phase will then allow for the resumption of concerts, large public gatherings, and conventions.
The re-opening of casinos, bars and nightclubs will be established with further consultation.
Guidelines for Re-Opening and Operating Safely
- Preventing COVID-19 Exposure in General Workplaces (WorkSafeBC)
- Frequently Asked Questions on COVID-19 in the Workplace (WorksafeBC)
- Comprehensive Re-Opening Guide for Restaurants (Hub International)
- Guidance to Retail Food and Grocery Stores (Government of BC)
- Best Practices for Manufacturers and Food Processors (MSABC)
- Information for Food Businesses and Restaurants (BC CDC)
- Guidance for Construction Sites (Government of BC)
- Guidance for Hotels (Government of BC)