Sustainability and Environment
As the leading triple bottom line chamber of commerce in Canada, the Burnaby Board of Trade stands at the forefront of engaging business on environmental issues including task force engagement, advancing environmental policies and advocacy, and providing businesses with resources for learning.
BBOT Programs and Activities:
- The Pledge for a Sustainable Community provides resources, education and workshops to help business take first and next steps to becoming more sustainable.
- A member of the City of Burnaby Sustainability Committee
- A member of Steering Committee of CityHive Enviro Lab Youth Changemakers
- A member of Project Zero, helping to grow the circular economy eco-system in the region.
- Climate Smart Certified
- Annual Green Talks! environmental forum brings sustainability in all forms front and centre to local business community
- BBOT Sustainable Purchasing Report
- Contributor to British Columbia Council for International Cooperation’s Climate Change How-To Guide for Industry and Professional Associations: Practical Steps to Help Your Members Prepare
for Climate Change
- The Burnaby Board of Trade was one of seven organizations in Canada to be profiled in the Sustainable & Just Business Association Report. To read the full report click here. To access the case studies click here.
Our Efforts and Impact:
- BBOT Provides Feedback on BC’s Draft Climate Preparedness and Adaptation Strategy 2021
- At the 2021 BC Chamber of Commerce AGM the BBOT championed policies to grow the Green Economy in British Columbia
- BBOT Task Force Encourages Greater Environmental Incentives and Green Procurement From Province
- BBOT Submission for Climate Preparedness and Adaption Strategy: Convened a small task force of business owners and professionals who met to discuss and brainstorm areas of concern and focus.
- Submission on BC’s Climate Leadership Plan
- BBOT Policy Bulletin on working with and supporting business to act on plastics waste
- BBOT Policy Bulletin: making government environmental programs and incentives more open to small businesses
- Burnaby Board of Trade Advances Policy To Make Federal Funding Programs More Accessible to Small Businesses
- BBOT supports City of Burnaby to take greater action on GHG targets
- BBOT resolution adopted by Canadian Chamber of Commerce on Creating a National Framework on Climate Leadership
- Burnaby Board of Trade Calls on PMO to work with business on GHG reduction emission targets in advance of UN Paris Climate Change conference
- Submission on Climate Preparedness and Adaptation Strategy
- BBOT Wins Push for Water Policy
- BBOT Partners with Vancity to fund 20 Local Businesses to Lower Emissions via Innovative Program with Climate Smart
- Winner – City of Burnaby Environmental Awards (Burnaby, 2013)
- Finalist – Top Corporate Social Responsibility initiative in the World – International Chamber of Commerce (Turin, 2015)
- Finalist – Canadian Chamber of Commerce “Innovative Programming” category (Ottawa, 2016)
- Winner – Western Association of Chamber Executives “Local Impact” Award (Sacramento, 2017)
- Winner – City of Burnaby Environmental Awards (Burnaby, 2017)