Sustainability and Environment
As the leading triple bottom line chamber of commerce in Canada, the Burnaby Board of Trade stands at the forefront of engaging business on environmental issues including task force engagement, advancing environmental policies and advocacy, and providing businesses with resources for learning.
BBOT Programs and Activities:
- The Pledge for a Sustainable Community provides resources, education and workshops to help business take first and next steps to becoming more sustainable.
- A member of the City of Burnaby Sustainability Committee
- A member of Steering Committee of CityHive Enviro Lab Youth Changemakers
- BBOT Task Force Encourages Greater Environmental Incentives and Green Procurement From Province
- Climate Urgency Task Force
- Single Use Plastics Task Force
- The Burnaby Board of Trade was one of seven organizations Canada-wide to be profiled in The Sustainable & Just Business Association Report. To read the full report click here. To access the case studies click here.
Our Efforts and Impact:
- BBOT Submission for Climate Preparedness and Adaption Strategy: Convened a small task force of business owners and professionals who met to discuss and brainstorm areas of concern and focus.
- Submission on BC’s Climate Leadership Plan
- BBOT Policy Bulletin on working with and supporting business to act on plastics waste
- BBOT Policy Bulletin: making government environmental programs and incentives more open to small businesses
- Burnaby Board of Trade Advances Policy To Make Federal Funding Programs More Accessible to Small Businesses
- Sent letter to the City of Burnaby seeking greater action on GHG targets
- 2020 Submission to Provincial Climate Preparedness and Adaption Strategy:
- BBOT resolution adopted by Canadian Chamber of Commerce on Creating a National Framework on Climate Leadership
- Burnaby Board of Trade Calls on PMO to work with business on GHG reduction emission targets in advance of UN Paris Climate Change conference
- Making Government Environmental Programs More Open to Small Business
- Working With and Supporting Business to Act on Plastic Waste
- Submission on Climate Preparedness and Adaptation Strategy
- BBOT Wins Push for Water Policy
- Pledge for a Sustainable Community was shortlisted in the category of CSR by the International Chamber of Commerce (Turin 2015)
- recognized by the City of Burnaby Environmental Awards (2013)
- shortlisted for the Canadian Chamber of Commerce “Innovative Programming” category (2016)
- Winner of the Western Association of Chamber Executives “Local Impact” Award (2017)
- Awarded Environmental Award by the City of Burnaby 2017