COVID-19 / Coronavirus Resources for Business
Sign up for our COVID-19 updates here!
As part of The Centre for Burnaby Business Recovery and Resilience, the Burnaby Board of Trade has curated useful resources below to assist local businesses with accessing relevant information from the appropriate authorities and finding helpful tools to prepare for and mitigate potential business challenges related to COVID-19. Read below for general information, or click one of our quick links for more details on specific programs and resource areas
For questions or clarity on these programs and supports, feel free to contact the Burnaby Board of Trade’s Director of Policy Cory Redekop by email!
BC’s COVID-19 Vaccination Plan
The plan to vaccinate BC against COVID-19 is underway. Vaccination and immunization is critical to our recovery from the COVID-19 pandemic — we need a robust vaccination roll-out by government and an eager uptake and participation by residents. Stay updated on the plan and get your vaccine when you become eligible. Read the latest on the Vaccination Plan
Current COVID-19 Restrictions:
- Current Restrictions and Prohibitions – The current restrictions in place through order by the provincial government which limit businesses and personal activities.
- New – Operating During Omicron – A one-stop page with resources to help businesses operate safely despite the Omicron variant
- New – COVID-19 Safety Plans – As of January 7, 2022, employers should reactivate COVID-19 Safety Plans
- Proof of Vaccination Requirements – Details on the new proof of vaccination requirements for entry to certain businesses, events and venues
- New – Options for Workplace Rapid Testing – There are limited ways employers can access rapid tests for use in workplace screening
- New – Primer: Guidance for Testing and Isolation – When someone reports symptoms, when do they get tested and how long do they isolate?
Current COVID-19 Funding, Grants, and Support Programs:
- Hardest Hit Business Recovery Program – Wage and rent subsidies up to 50% for businesses
- Updated – Tourism and Hospitality Recovery Program – Wage and rent subsidies up to 75% for tourism businesses
- Updated – Local Lockdown Program – Wage and rent subsidies for businesses facing closure or 50% capacity restrictions
- New – BC’s “COVID-19 Closure Relief” Grant – Up to $10,000 for businesses closed by December 22 orders
- Canada Emergency Wage Subsidy – July 5, 2020 through October 23, 2021 – Rules and Details for the Wage Subsidy from July 5, 2020 to October 23, 2021
- Canada Recovery Hiring Program – Subsidies of up to 50% of incremental increases in payroll for June 6 through November 20, 2021
- Canada Emergency Rent Subsidy – Subsidy direct to businesses to help pay commercial rent available until October 23, 2021
- Canada Recovery Benefit – Direct support to self-employed individuals who cannot work or who experience 50% decline in income
- Updated – 15% PST Rebate on Machinery and Equipment – New tax credit on equipment bought for business
- Highly Affected Sectors Credit Availability Program – The Highly Affected Sectors Credit Availability Program (HASCAP) allows businesses heavily impacted by COVID-19 to access guaranteed, low-interest loans of $25,000 to $1 million to cover operational cash flow needs.
Other COVID-19 Supports and Resources:
- Resource Guide for Small Business – A comprehensive resource guide provided by the BC Chamber and Burnaby Board of Trade
- WorkSafeBC 10-Day Closures – Details on new Expedited Workplace Closures and Steps for Employers
- Changes to the Employment Standards Act – New 3 paid sick days required plus new unpaid, job-protected leave related to COVID-19
- BC’s Hub for Workplace Mental Health – Supports and tools to support mental health in the workplace
- Active Sidewalks, Open Businesses Program – This City of Burnaby program allows businesses to apply to use either City property such as sidewalks or private property such as on-site parking for patio expansions, retail displays, and other business uses
- Liquor Delivery and Expanded Patio Rules – The Province is extending temporary measures to support the restaurant sector that allow for expanded service areas, such as patios, and for the sale and delivery of unopened liquor products with the purchase of a meal
- Supplier List for COVID PPE, Physical Barriers, and Signage – Get a list of local suppliers providing masks, signage and physical barriers
- Guidelines and Best Practices for Re-Opening Businesses – The provincial plan for re-opening and how to do it safely and in compliance
- Changes to EI and New Employment Benefit Programs – New extensions to EI and programs for self-employed, sick leave, and parents
- Changes to Employment Insurance for COVID-19 – Changes to make it easier for workers to get benefits and employers to reduce hours while keeping staff
- Supply and Sell to the Government’s Response to COVID-19 – Find out how to sell to and be a supplier for COVID-19 response efforts
- Travel Restrictions – The Canada-US border has been closed; Visits by non-citizens/permanent residents banned; Canadian international travel severely restricted
- Business Tools and Templates for Dealing with COVID-19 – Curated resources from a number of agencies and experts
Previous Support Programs and Closed Funding
- TELUS #StandWithOwners Program – National campaign offering $10,000 in funding grants plus telecom and advertising support to successful applicants
- The BC Small and Medium-Sized Business Recovery Grant – Provincial grants of $10,000 to $30,000 which closed on July 2, 2021
- BC Recovery Benefit – Up to $1000 for BC households to help them cover COVID-19 expenses was offered until July 1, 2021
- Increased Employment Incentive – Provincial refundable tax credit for hiring or payroll increases that occurred in Q4 2020
- Launch Online Grant for E-Commerce – Up to $7500 in grant funding for BC businesses to set up e-commerce stores.
- Canada Emergency Business Account – Up to $60,000 in interest-free loans with up to $20,000 being forgiven which was available until June 30, 2021
- BC Manufacturing Grant – New grant to support manufacturing projects
- “Circuit Breaker Business Relief Grant” – Provincial grants of between $2,000 and $20,000 that were offered to restaurants/breweries/fitness businesses
- Taxes Cuts and Deferrals – Businesses and individuals can delay filing income tax and defer remitting various provincial taxes
- Regional Relief and Recovery Fund – Interest free loans for businesses not eligible for the Canada Emergency Business Account
- Women’s Enterprise Stream Funding – Up to $40,000 in interest-free, forgivable loans for Women-Owned Businesses
- Canada Emergency Wage Subsidy – March 15 – July 4 – Rules and Details for the Wage Subsidy from March 15 to July 4, 2020
- $5000 Canada United Grants for Canada Small Businesses – Applications have now closed.
- 10% Wage Subsidy for Small Businesses – Subsidy to cover 10% of wages paid from March through June
- Commercial Rent Assistance Program – Reducing commercial rents by 75% for small to medium businesses for April to September
- Canada Emergency Response Benefit – This was the primary benefit for those out of work due to COVID-19, providing $2000 per month. This program is now closed.
- Funding for Non Profits – The Community Response Fund is a private fund offering $10,000 to $50,000 grants to non profits
- Funding for Non Profits – Funding for non-profits/community groups for Food Security and Youth/Women/Families Supports
- Supports for Students & Recent Grads – Two new benefits and a doubling of Canada Student Grants have been announced
- Supports for Individuals/Workers – The Canada Emergency Response Benefit, Canada Child Benefit, and GST Bonus Credit will provide additional financial support federally, and the BC Emergency Benefit for Workers will provide $1000 payments provincially
- Supports for Seniors – New one-time direct funding for seniors
- Support for the Self-Employed – The new Canada Emergency Response Benefit ; $1000 BC Emergency Benefit for Workers
- Support for Pre-Revenue Firms, Innovation Companies, and Start-Ups – The Industrial Research Assistance Program and Futurpreneur have been giving more funding to help
- BC Hydro Relief of Electrical Bills – Individuals and Businesses can apply for bill credits, forgiveness, and deferrals
COVID-19 Health Resources and Information:
Public Health Agency of Canada – This Government of Canada site provides updates on current cases, the current risk to Canadians, and latest updates on prevention, travel advisories and more.
BC Centre for Disease Control – The BC CDC has useful, BC-specific information on the virus, current risks, and tips for prevention available in English, Farsi, Punjabi and Traditional Chinese
Fraser Health – Our local health authority, Fraser Health has a Q&A section answering common questions about COVID-19
BC COVID-19 Symptom Self-Assessment Tool – Check your symptoms to determine if you need further medical attention
Government of Canada COVID-19 Information Service
- Phone: 1-833-784-4397 (Interpretation services are available in multiple languages for those who do not speak English or French)
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
The Centre for Burnaby Business Recovery and Resilience is supported by the following partners:
connect with us