Just Extended! — PST Rebate on Machinery and Equipment
This program has been extended through to March 31, 2022
The new PST Rebate on Machinery and Equipment is a temporary measure that acts like a PST refund and allows corporations to apply to receive an amount equal to the PST they paid between September 17, 2020 and March 31, 2022 on qualifying machinery and equipment.
If your business has bought machinery or equipment, or is thinking of making this type of investment, get the details about this new program below and from the government page here.
- This credit is available to all incorporated businesses — partnerships and sole proprietorships cannot apply.
- Non-profit or charity corporations are not eligible, neither are government bodies or schools or universities.
What Purchases Qualify
- The rebate applies to eligible equipment that is purchased between Sept 17, 2020 and March 31, 2022. The purchase must be made by March 31, not simply invoiced by then.
- The equipment must considered a capital asset — this broadly means the equipment has been capitalized for accounting purposes (for example, is subject to depreciation)
- PST paid on equipment/machinery leases is eligible
- Equipment/machinery is included in the definitions found in Schedule II to the federal Income Tax Regulations for capital cost allowance (classes 8, 10, 12, 16, 38, 43, 43.1, 43.2, 46, 50, 53, 54, and 55)
- This will include many things, including computer hardware and software, furniture, appliances, machinery, tools, linens, dishes, electric vehicle charging stations and most zero-emission vehicles
- The machinery/equipment must be primarily acquired for gaining or producing income
How To Apply
- Be sure to keep all receipts and invoices between September 17, 2020 and March 31, 2022 with proof of the payment of PST on qualifying machinery and equipment
- You have until September 30, 2022 to apply for the rebate
- You can apply online through eTaxBC or if you don’t have that, you can apply through an online portal
- Rebate payments are made by direct deposit for all applicants with Canadian bank accounts (cheques otherwise)