FACTSHEET: B.C. Small Business facts and figures
- Small business makes up 98 per cent of all business in the province and employs over one million people.
- Small business provides nearly 56 per cent of all private-sector jobs in British Columbia, the highest rate in the country.
- There were approximately 385,100 small businesses operating in the province in 2011.
- British Columbia ranks first in Canada for the number of small businesses per capita, with 84.2 businesses per 1,000 people.
- Women make up more than 37 per cent of self-employed people in British Columbia, the second-highest rate in the country.
- Small business accounts for 29 per cent of British Columbia’s Gross Domestic Product (GDP), higher than the Canadian average of 27 per cent.