Emergency Care Benefit for Non-EI Eligible Workers
The new Emergency Care Benefit will support individuals who are unable to work and who generally do not qualify for EI benefits.
For those eligible for EI and who are quarantined or isolated and who therefore lose income, EI Sickness benefits would instead be available.
This benefit provides up to $900 bi-weekly, for up to 15 weeks to:
- Workers, including the self-employed, who are quarantined or sick with COVID-19 but do not qualify for EI sickness benefits.
- Workers, including the self-employed, who are taking care of a family member who is sick with COVID-19, such as an elderly parent, but do not quality for EI sickness benefits.
- Parents with children who require care or supervision due to school closures, and are unable to earn employment income, irrespective of whether they qualify for EI or not
- Application for the Benefit will be available in April 2020.
- You will need a doctors note and you can apply online for the $900 every two weeks