Expanded “Circuit Breaker Business Relief Grant” for Restaurant, Fitness, Accommodation Businesses up to $20,000

A provincial grant is available to hospitality, accommodation and fitness businesses impacted by the “circuit breaker” restrictions announced on March 29, 2021 and the travel restrictions announced on April 23, 2021.

The grant amounts have been doubled in response the increase in the duration of provincial closures.  Grants will now be available in $2,000, $4,000, $10,000 and $20,000 are available until June 4, 2021 or until funds are fully expended, whichever comes first.

Applications are now closed.  Read more about the Circuit Breaker Business Relief Grant

If you applied for the grant prior to its expansion on April 26, you do NOT need to reapply.  Applications will be re-evaluated with the new criteria and grant amounts.


  • A business must have been in operation as of February 1, 2021 and be registered in BC as a business
  • Must pay taxes in BC, can demonstrate majority ownership and operations are in BC, and can produce a produce a business validation document, such as a business license, liquor license, notice of assessment or lease agreement
  • Must be partially or fully closed to comply with the March 30, 2021 PHO orders (read orders here and here) or the April 23 travel restrictions
  • Generally includes:
    • Restaurants, pubs, bars, coffee shops, cafes and cafeterias
    • Lounges and nightclubs
    • Breweries, wineries and tasting rooms
    • Pilates studios, yoga studios, Barre studios, and Gyms offering indoor group exercise classes
    • Hotels, motels, hostels, bed and breakfasts, campgrounds, and other short-term rental businesses


  • Grants are fully funded and do not have to be paid back
  • You can use the grant for expenses like:
    • Rent and utilities, insurance, maintenance, wages, and cost of perishable food loss
  • Amount of funding is based on the number of employees or contracted staff:
    • No employees = $2,000
    • 1 to 4 employees = $4,000
    • 5 – 99 employees = $10,000
    • 100+ employees = $20,000


When you apply online (here) you will be asked to submit one of the following documents (Uploaded document must be from 2019 or newer):

  • Income tax notice of assessment
  • Business licence
  • Liquor licence
  • Insurance policy
  • Lease agreement



Questions or feedback on this or any COVID-19 support program or regulation? Burnaby Board of Trade members can contact our Director of Policy at cory@bbot.ca