Celebrate Burnaby Neighbourhood House Week May 9th-13th
May 9th to 13th is Celebrate Neighbourhood House Week! What is a Neighbourhood House you ask? It’s a place where we include people of all ages and diverse backgrounds. Through a wide range of programs and services, the Burnaby Neighbourhood House offers social support and activities for the whole family – children, parents, and grandparents. For example, a parent may be attending a parent support circle, a child may be attending an after-school club, and a grandmother may attend a seniors wellness group. They would all be invited and encouraged to attend community events. It is the philosophy of Neighbourhood Houses that everyone should have equal access to community programs and services and that programs remain accessible and affordable.
Building community through the planning and implementation of low cost community dinners and events. (festivals, family fairs, community clean-ups, etc). Bringing community members together in a positive and supportive environment, which encourages the building of relationships. Some events are organized solely by the Burnaby Neighbourhood House staff and volunteers where other events are coordinated by other groups and the Burnaby Neighbourhood House staff participates by providing a promotional display and activity.
Burnaby Neighbourhood House is committed to building a socially just neighbourhood, defined as one that upholds and validates the value of:
• Inclusiveness- To understand and responsive to all community members and treat with respect and integrity
• Equality- To make accessible social and economic resources in the community for the benefit of all people
• Empowerment & Leadership- To help individuals and communities achieve self-actualization
• Engagement & Responsibility- To build common interests and sustain relationships in the community as the basis for action to achieve shared goals
• Innovation- To develop new resources and made available in the community
We welcome you to join us to celebrate Neighbourhood House week by stopping by and saying hello.