Get 75% Funding to Hire with Canada Summer Jobs Program
Local businesses can access 75% funding to hire a youth employee (aged 15-30) through the expanded Canada Summer Jobs Program. Applications are being accepted until January 29, 2021 and the program is open to all private companies and non-profits with 50 or fewer full-time employees.
See highlights of the program below, or see the full applicant information here.
The program provides wage subsidies to employers from not-for-profit organizations, the public sector, and private sector organizations with 50 or fewer full-time employees, to create quality work experiences for young people aged 15 to 30 years. Funded employers are not restricted to hiring students — all youth aged 15 to 30 years may be eligible participants.
There have been substantial reforms to the criteria to make the program more flexible
- The position must last at least 6 weeks and may be funded up to 23 weeks (although permanent positions are encouraged once subsidy funding has been used up)
- This year, full time AND part time positions are eligible. The employee must work between 12 hours and 40 hours per week.
- The position must be offered between April 26, 2021 and February 26, 2022
- For Profit Employers – The subsidy has been increased this year to cover 75% of the BC minimum wage. The employer is responsible for the remaining salary, plus any mandatory employment-related expenses.
- Non-Profit Employers – The subsidy will cover 100% of the BC minimum wage. The non-profit is eligible for reimbursement of mandatory employment-related expenses.