Welcome to the EXPAND section of the BBOT’s Business Resource Guide.
The below are resource, tools, information, and contacts to help you when you want to EXPAND and grow your business .
Once your business is up and running, you may want to explore expanding your markets, and this may involve looking overseas and to international markets. There are many opportunities to conduct business internationally, whether by importing products to Canada for sale, or by exporting your own products and services abroad.
The below links provide various helpful resources to assist when your business if ready to expand into import and export, including introductions to various international trade agencies and officers.
- Export Development Canada
- This crown corporations provides Canadian exporters with trade financing, export credit insurance and bonding services, as well as foreign market expertise.
- Trade Commissioner Service
- As part of Foreign Affairs, Trade and Development Canada, the Canadian Trade Commissioner Service has more than 120 years of experience helping Canadian companies succeed in foreign markets with on-the-ground support, guidance, and expertise.
- Step by Step Guide to Exporting – This guide will help you get your business export-ready and well positioned for commercial success abroad.
- BDC – Information on Exporting
- This site contains useful information on preparing to export.
- Step by Step Guide to Exporting – Canada Border Services
- This guide contains useful information, including on what exports are regulated or restricted.
- Step by Step Guide to Importing – Canada Border Services
- This guide contains useful information on how to properly, and legally, import products into Canada.
- International Connections and Introductions from the Burnaby Board of Trade
- The BBOT has made connections with trade offices and governments around the world, with a focus on the Asia-Pacific, and makes those contact available to businesses looking to explore international trade.
- Certificates of Origin for Export
- Many countries require a Certificate of Origin to be certified by a Board of Trade/Chamber of Commerce and accompany an export being shipped there. The BBOT can provide templates and document certification services to assist businesses with this requirement.