October 17th, 2018 marks the legalization of cannabis sale and use across Canada.
For information on this emerging market and the potential business opportunities, as well as the rules around cannabis use and the impacts of cannabis on the workplace, please see the below resources assembled by the Burnaby Board of Trade.
About Cannabis Legalization
- Cannabis Clarity – Government of British Columbia
The Government of BC’s overall cannabis legalization page has a wealth of information and is the best place to look for information relating to cannabis legalization.
Cannabis in the Workplace
- Marijuana in the Workplace presentation (courtesy of Ashley Mitchell, Miller Thomson LLP)
Workplace Impairment & Cannabis presentation (courtesy of Anne Dobson-Mack, WorkSafeBC)
These presentations were given at the BBOT’s June 2018 Annual General Meeting
- Cannabis and Impairment in the Workplace primer courtesy of WorkSafeBC
The purpose of this primer is to provide an overview of the existing Regulation that prohibits impairment in the workplace
- Developing an Impairment Policy courtesy of WorkSafeBC
This useful document provides employers with guidance on managing workplace impairment and developing an impairment policy.
- Workplace Strategies: Risk of Impairment from Cannabis courtesy of Canadian Centre for Occupational Health & Safety
This paper discusses the implications associated with the use of cannabis and presents information and recommendations for employers, employees, and others
interested in workplace health and safety
- Find a BBOT member to help with your workplace cannabis policies
Search for human resources companies and consultants, and lawyers and legal professionals, who can ensure you are prepared.
The Cannabis Business
- Cannabis Retail Licenses
Get information on how to apply for a private cannabis retail licence, access the application guidelines and use an interactive tool to understand what you need to do to apply for a licence.
- City of Burnaby’s Approach to Regulation of Cannabis Retail Stores
The City of Burnaby has decided to first allow one government-run cannabis retail store in each of the four town centres (Metrotown, Edmonds, Lougheed, Brentwood) before entertaining any private cannabis retail store applications.
- BC Government Cannabis Stores Primer
An overview of how the government-run cannabis stores will operate and appear
- BC’s Cannabis Distribution and Supply Chain
Information on the supply of cannabis to BC
- Cannabis Producer Application Guide
Information on becoming a licensed producer of cannabis (large scale small scale, or seeds/plants)
- Health Canada Application Process for Licenses Producers